Cabbage Soup In A Bread Bowl
4-6 French rolls for the bread bowls – When you do the serving, be sure to place them in a bowl or plate as the soup may leak through
1 pound soup bones
3 chopped fresh carrots
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 bay leaf
3 minced garlic cloves
3 pounds beef short ribs
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons thyme
1 large cabbage finely chopped
8 cups beef stock
2 cans (540ml size) diced tomatoes
1 can (540ml size) sauerkraut
1. In a large pot bring the beef stock to a boil.
2. Put the beef bones, short ribs, carrots, garlic, bay leaf and onion into the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Add any remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then turn down the heat and have on a low simmer for 2 hours.
4. Remove all the bones and be sure any meat remaining is in small bite sized pieces.
5. Cut the tops off the french buns, and scoop out the centers to make the bowls. Put the buns onto a cookie sheet and into the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes to toast them up and warm them. You can also put the scooped bread pieces on the cookie sheet to warm up and eat them alongside the soup.
7. Ladle the soup into the warm buns and serve right away as the buns will break down and become soft with the soup.